Hasbro officially kicks off the 40th Anniversary of Transformers today with a press release highlighting new product and partner initiatives for 2024. Highlights include 40th Anniversary toys from Hasbro, the G1 Soundtrack on vinyl and digital with additional music, trading cards from Dynamite, new products from Robosen, Super7 and Threezero, plus a lot more. Read on to check out the full presser and some official pics!
HASBRO CELEBRATES TRANSFORMERS 40th ANNIVERSARY WITH MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE PRODUCTS, ENTERTAINMENT AND MORE
For 40 years, the TRANSFORMERS franchise has continuously adapted and redefined itself, culminating in one legacy across generations through innovative products, captivating entertainment, inspiring licensed partnerships, and engaging publishing projects
PAWTUCKET, R.I. – FEB. 6, 2024 – Hasbro, a leading toy and game company, today announced its plans to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the beloved TRANSFORMERS franchise.
TRANSFORMERS made its worldwide debut in 1984 with its revolutionary robot-to-vehicle action figures, bolstered by a comic book series and an action-packed animated series, The Transformers. The launch was a massive hit, and it introduced characters like Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron, Starscream, and others who became fan favorites and the ultimate heroes and villains of Cybertron. Today, hundreds of robots continue to join the franchise and illustrate the brand’s core ability to change and adapt to new environments while offering a variety of ways to play for a new generation of fans.
“Beloved since its inception in 1984, TRANSFORMERS has evolved from an innovative toy line into a powerhouse franchise embraced by millions of fans around the world,” said Alyse D’Antuono, Vice President, Global Franchise Strategy & Management, Action Brands, Hasbro. “The past four decades continuously delivered a … More Than Meets The Eye experience for fans by introducing new toys and games, as well as thrilling storytelling in animated shows, comics, blockbuster films and much more. As we build the next chapter in the TRANSFORMERS universe, we look forward to celebrating one legacy for another 40 years.”
“When you have a franchise that goes 40 years in this business, it’s pretty remarkable,” said TRANSFORMERS voice-over talent and original voice of Megatron, Frank Welker, “to watch the franchise just build and build and build it is amazing to watch.” Added fellow voice cast member and original voice of Optimus Prime, Peter Cullen, “I’ve always had the feeling this was going to go a long time.”
Drawing inspiration from the brand’s origins in 1984, Hasbro will launch an exciting array of products, promotions, experiences and action-packed content throughout 2024, allowing new generations to discover where it all began.
- Hasbro Pulse recently revealed the next HasLab of powerful proportions. Fans can back this TRANSFORMERS HasLab project, Transformers: Legacy Robots in Disguise 2001 Omega Prime, until March 14, 2024, at 11:59 PM EST. If fully funded, the project will begin shipping in Fall 2025. More information can be found on HasbroPulse.com.
- Over 40 distinct Hasbro TRANSFORMERS anniversary figures will be available across the year-long celebration. Each product packaging will be branded with the TRANSFORMERS 40th anniversary logo, including the recently revealed TRANSFORMERS Generations Comic Edition Shockwave and Grimlock figures. In March, Hasbro Pulse will kick off the 40th anniversary with a Hasbro Pulse Fanstream and weekly fan-focused content.
With the first robot figures “capable of disguising themselves as vehicles, planes, weapons, and communication devices” landing on shelves in April 1984, Hasbro set out to strengthen the TRANSFORMERS brand with multiple partner licensees. Early licensed products included sticker books, TV trays, dinnerware, school folders, notebooks, records and tape sets, gumball banks, kites, and Halloween costumes. Decades later, the brand continues to expand with new licensing, publishing, promotions and entertainment that will be available throughout the year-long celebration.
- Fans can jam out with the TRANSFORMERS 40th anniversary vinyl album, ‘Hasbro presents Transformers: Music from the Original Animated Series,’ featuring music from 1984’s The TRANSFORMERS classic animated series (seasons 1-3). Originally released in 2019 with over 45 minutes of music, this reissue album includes bonus tracks and a mixture of remastered orchestral and ‘80s inspired synth tracks from the original tapes by composer Rob Walsh. The album will also be available digitally for the first time across all digital music platforms. Pre-orders open July 26.
- JLab – The TRANSFORMERS 40th anniversary collection includes headphones from top audio maker JLab. The collection includes the newly released JLab JBuds Lux ANC Headphones, providing immersive sound and incredible comfort to TRANSFORMERS fans. It also includes a more compact listening experience with new 2024 active noise canceling true wireless earbuds, the JLab JBuds ANC 3 model. For more information visit www.jlab.com.
- Mad Engine – A new line of t-shirts has been created for the TRANSFORMERS 40th anniversary, which features artwork based on the original TRANSFORMERS comics as well as new designs to commemorate the milestone. Fans can find the full assortment now on Amazon.com.
- RSVLTS – A collection inspired by TRANSFORMERS 40th anniversary is coming soon from apparel brand RSVLTS.
Toys & Collectibles
- Robosen – Robosen is thrilled to not only kick off a huge year in 2024 with Hasbro but, more importantly, utilize the excitement and anticipation of the 40th anniversary of TRANSFORMERS with the launch of its most anticipated robot sequel since the Flagship Optimus Prime.
- Jada Toys – Two new 1:24 scale die-cast vehicle mash-ups inspired by TRANSFORMERS and Ghostbusters brands will arrive this Fall: HWR Ghostbusters Ecto-1 with Optimus Prime G1 graphics (Ages 8 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $19.99) and HWR G1 Optimus Prime with Ghostbusters Ecto-1 graphics (Ages 8 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $29.99). Vehicles feature premium sculpt and paint finishes, as well as highly detailed interiors, exteriors and more.
- Super7 – New characters in Blind Box, ReAction, and Super Cyborg formats will be available for purchase starting this Fall on Super7.com, HasbroPulse.com, as well as other major retailers, including Amazon, Target, BigBadToy Store, Entertainment Earth, Macy’s and more. Follow Super7’s social media channels for product announcements and launch timing.
- Funko – Fans can look forward to additional TRANSFORMERS x Pop! figures this Summer.
- FiGPiN – FiGPiN is re-launching their XL collectible enamel pins featuring Optimus Prime and Megatron in a 6″ format. Each pin comes with an exclusive FiGPiN Logo as well as updated packaging to enhance your display. These will be available on FiGPiN.com late spring.
- New Zealand Mint: In celebration of the 40th anniversary of the beloved TRANSFORMERS series, Hasbro and New Zealand Mint are excited to unveil a limited edition, pure silver collectible of the first Transformers comic cover. This exclusive piece is not only a nod to the enduring legacy of the TRANSFORMERS universe but also a testament to the fine craftsmanship and attention to detail that New Zealand Mint is renowned for. The release of this collectible marks the beginning of an exciting series of TRANSFORMERS-themed coins, designed to captivate both long-time enthusiasts and new fans alike.
- threezero – The limited-edition Transformers MDLX Optimus Prime (Vintage Animation Edition), Transformers MDLX Bumblebee (Vintage Animation Edition), and Transformers MDLX Megatron (Vintage Animation Edition) are threezero’s redesigned versions of the classic TRANSFORMERS characters in celebration of TRANSFORMERS 40th anniversary. They feature incredible detailing and a new vintage animation-inspired color scheme with new decals. The Transformers MDLX Vintage Animation Edition line of figures is based on the original 1980s The TRANSFORMERS cartoon and toy line, as redesigned by threezero Art Director Kelvin Sau.
These figures will be available at selected distribution partners worldwide, threezero Store, and threezero Tmall. A limited first batch of 100 units will be available for on-site purchase at the threezero booth on the opening day of TF Con LA on March 8th.
- Skybound Entertainment – New comic books and graphic novel collections based on the TRANSFORMERS series will be released this year. As part of the new shared Energon Universe from visionary creator Robert Kirkman, TRANSFORMERS, G.I. JOE and Void Rivals characters come together for a truly special comic book experience that has broken industry sales records. A new graphic novel compendium series collecting the landmark TRANSFORMERS series from Marvel Comics will also launch Fall 2024.
- Dynamite Entertainment – Collect a new set of nearly 200 premium trading cards featuring fan-favorite characters from the TRANSFORMERS brand’s “Generation 1” era, showcasing classic art styles from an international array of top artists and Hasbro’s design archives. More information and product previews will be shared in the future.
- Monro – One of the United States’ leading automotive service and tire providers will offer TRANSFORMERS-themed auto service packages now through March 31. The program will include special offers, giveaways and more at participating Monro locations. For more information, visit https://corporate.monro.com/overview/default.aspx.
- The 40th anniversary celebration shifts into high gear with Paramount’s highly-anticipated animated projects released this year with the second season of the original kids series TRANSFORMERS: EARTHSPARK and TRANSFORMERS ONE, the first-ever fully CG-animated theatrical movie, debuting in theaters on September 13.
- Fans can tune in to a special TRANSFORMERS-themed episode during Season 11 of The Masked Singer, premiering this Spring on Fox.
Updates on these projects and other special entertainment content planned during TRANSFORMERS 40th anniversary year will be coming soon.
For the latest information on the TRANSFORMERS , including toys and entertainment, follow @TRANSFORMERSOfficial on Instagram, @TransformersOfficial on Threads, @TRANSFORMERS on Facebook and @TRANSFORMERSOfficial on TikTok.
Fans can now watch the 1984 The TRANSFORMERS animated series HERE on the Hasbro Pulse YouTube Channel. Additionally, TRANSFORMERS photos and video content are available HERE.
# # #
Hasbro is a leading toy and game company whose mission is to entertain and connect generations of fans through the wonder of storytelling and exhilaration of play. Hasbro delivers engaging brand experiences for global audiences through toys, consumer products, gaming and entertainment, with a portfolio of iconic brands including MAGIC: THE GATHERING, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, HasbroGaming, NERF, TRANSFORMERS, PLAY-DOH and PEPPA PIG, as well as premier partner brands.
Hasbro is guided by our Purpose to create joy and community for all people around the world, one game, one toy, one story at a time. For more than a decade, Hasbro has been consistently recognized for its corporate citizenship, including being named one of the 100 Best Corporate Citizens by 3BL Media, one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere Institute and one of the 50 Most Community-Minded Companies in the U.S. by the Civic 50. For more information, visit https://corporate.hasbro.com.
About Hasbro Entertainment
Hasbro Entertainment leverages Hasbro’s leading collection of iconic brands to develop, produce, and finance premium film, television, animation, and digital content for audiences of all ages. Unifying Hasbro’s robust production expertise under one umbrella, Hasbro Entertainment is focused on creating multi-platform adaptations of the company’s brands, including such beloved worlds as DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, TRANSFORMERS, G.I. JOE, NERF, PLAY-DOH, MAGIC: THE GATHERING, PEPPA PIG, and MY LITTLE PONY. Hasbro Entertainment has over 30 active projects, with upcoming titles including TRANSFORMERS ONE, a live-action Dungeons & Dragons series for Paramount+, and a broad slate of ongoing animated series, including Peppa Pig, Transformers: EarthSpark, Kiya & the Kimoja Heroes, and My Little Pony: Tell Your Tale. For more information on how Hasbro Entertainment is connecting and captivating generations of fans through the wonder of storytelling, visit: www.Hasbro.com
The TRANSFORMERS brand is a global powerhouse franchise with millions of fans around the world. Since 1984, the battle between the Autobots and Decepticons has come to life in movies, TV shows, comic books, innovative toys, and digital media, bringing incredible “MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE” experiences to fans of all ages. The brand’s enduring connection is made possible by its rich storytelling and characters: the heroic Autobots who seek to protect all life, and the evil Decepticons who seek to conquer the universe. The TRANSFORMERS brand is a Hasbro franchise.