Via Adventures in Collecting Podcast YouTube channel we can share for you a very interesting interview with Hasbro Transformers brand marketer Ben MacCrae.
On this 1 hour interview we get some interesting tips and information about Rise Of The Beasts toyline, how designers Sam Smith and Even Brooks work and their inspirations, details about why Studio Series ROTB Optimus Prime was released as a Target exclusive (due to the movie’s delay), some info about HasLab Deathsaurus (video coming soon and expect it to be at SDCC) and more.
Listen to the interview after the break and then sound off on the 2005 Boards!
I'm primarily 87-89.
For a long time I thought my only shot at Needlenose would be an Armada Thrust repaint. And I thought we'd NEVER get Windsweeper. Now, come the end of the summer I will have both.
With Windsweeper you'd guess Ruckus is coming, and it's not far of a stretch to hope the Triggerbots follow.
I'm happy with Siege Crosshairs- so Sureshot completes that trio.
So if you give me one wish- I honestly don't know where to spend it. Pretenders are tough*. Nightbeat, Siren and Hosehead maybe? But they must be close too, surely?
My really out there wish right now would be to have the 1989 Micromasters all re-done as Core class (plenty of 84-86 redecos could be had of them).
* I think I might try to start a movement to get these guys done as Haslabs- deluxe inner bots with whatever it takes to put some sort of shell around them.
It's good to know that they read the forums… or not so much considering how horrible the threads can get.
And for all you wishlisters out there, I know this is going to sound pessimistic, but I think it's sort of useless because they'll most likely skip comments that are too long, plus they may just take the ideas they like or just read the opinions of the figures and ignore everything else.
And i agree with @Q Prime, the painted windows are horrible.
Oh, buzz off! Transparent plastic is the least of those figures’ problems.
I would agree too, it's the online chatter that they usually pay attention to, like "wouldn't it be nice if we got Generations updates to Beast Wars?", Or "will we get the rest of the Bumblebee opening characters in Studio Series?", "I hope for more IDW characters",
"Blitzwing was such a cool character in Bumblebee, I cannot wait for his Studio Series figure" that sort of talking
DOWN WITH TRANSPARENT PLASTIC!
*Side-eyes PotP Jazz and Ricochet*
Yeah wishlists are useless. I skip the wall of texts as well.. I’m sure the designers do as well..
Not everyone is making wishlists. Seriously dudes, you end up doing more harm than good. Half of us skip walls of text due to TLDR, and your one true want loses out to your 30th preference.
Since everyone is making wishlists, in hopes Bmac will read them, here's mine:
Deluxe Transmetal Rattrap
Deluxe Transmetal Cheetor
Deluxe Animated Ratchet
Deluxe Transmetal 2 Blackarachnia
Voyager Transmetal Optimus Primal
Voyager Transmetal Tarantulas
Voyager Transmetal 2 Dinobot
Voyager Transmetal 2 Cheetor
Voyager Animated Starscream
Voyager Animated Blitzwing
Leader Transmetal Megatron
Leader Animated Megatron
Leader Animated Bulkhead
Leader Animated Lugnut
Leader Animated Blackout
Commander Depth Charge
Deluxe ROTF Ice Cream Twins
Deluxe ROTF Skids
Deluxe ROTF Mudflap
Deluxe DOTM Que
Deluxe DOTM Crankcase 2.0
Deluxe AOE Camaro Bumblebee
Deluxe AOE Bugatti Drift
Deluxe AOE Crosshairs
Deluxe TLK Barricade
Deluxe TLK Dreadbot
Voyager GE ROTF Breakaway
Voyager AOE Optimus Prime
Voyager TLK Nemesis Prime
Voyager TLK Megatron
Voyager TLK Onslaught
Voyager TLK Nitro Zeus
Voyager BB Skywarp
Leader ROTF Demolishor
Leader GE 2007 Shockwave
Leader GE DOTM Warpath
Leader AOE Hound
Leader AOE Slug
Leader AOE Scorn
Leader AOE Strafe
Commander DOTM Devcon
You know I was just thinking the other day about versatile a deluxe Energon Starscream mold could be. Basically any small sized jet with a cockpit chest could be done, and thats well over a dozen characters from G2 to Cybertron. And, speaking of Cybertron. You could give the mold the same weapon arm gimmick as the WFC figures so that way you could do a Cybertron Thundercracker that could swap between a normal arm and gun arm.
Yeah, Machine Wars and more AEC updates are my most wanted… Machine Wars is getting more and more likely as new molds come about… We just need a Thunderclash for Prime and Energon Starscream for Megatron and Megaplex and I think all of the others will fall in place with existing molds.
All I want for a Wishlist is the rest of the Armada cast and Machine Wars.
Give me those two things and I’ll be happy forever.
Here’s my wishlist, Hasbro…this is stuff I would actually buy.
– Finish off the 84-86 minibots (deluxe)
– RID01 Rail Racer (3 voyagers…Commander-sized combined mode)
– 6” scale fully articulated human figures (G1 main cast…TFA…TFP…even Kicker, lol)
– Raiden (G1 toy-based…core or deluxe component bots)
Never! You see how bad 86 Brawn’s alt-mode looks compared to almost every other figure from the last few years!
Well if they are listening to us
ENOUGH WITH THE CLEAR PLASTIC!
View attachment 29954217
This again? It's been said over and over: the movie was delayed a whole year. We know for a fact Hasbro plans these things two years in advanced, they must've began developing the Studio Series Rise Of The Beasts figures when the movie was still slated to release in 2022, of course the Studio Series figures were deep into development when the movie was pushed back to 2023, by then it must've been too late to come up with an entirely different line up for Studio Series 2023.
Wanna blame somebody? Blame Paramount lmao
dont get me started on wishlists i got a whole 5 years planned out
*ahem* Hiiiii Hasbro~!
– Leader Predacon Rampage
– Voyager Slipstream (from ER Starscream)
– Voyager RID 2000 Universe Sky-Byte
– Deluxe Transmetal 2 Blackarachnia
– Deluxe Camshaft
– Deluxe Armada Universe Wheeljack (from gigawatt)
– Deluxe G2 Universe Powerdive
– Core Waverider
– Core RID 2000 Universe Ironhide
– Core Cybertron Universe Red Scrapmetal
– Titan RID 2000 Universe Rail Racer
– Commander European Universe Thunderclash
– Leader Octane
– Voyager Armada Universe Cyclonus
– Voyager Maximal Bigmos
– Deluxe Joyride w/Hotwire
– Deluxe Ruckus (from beachcomber)
– Deluxe Transmetal Cheetor
– Deluxe European Universe Rage (from sideswipe)
– Core Armada Universe Space Mini-Con Team
– Core Sideswipe
– Core Bugly
– Leader Armada Universe Jetfire
– Voyager Cybertron Universe Vector Prime
– Deluxe Guzzle
– Deluxe RID 2000 Universe X-Brawn
– Deluxe European Universe Talon
– Deluxe G2 Universe Sideswipe (from sideswipe)
– Core Cloudburst
– Core RID 2000 Universe REV
– Core Armada Universe Jolt vs Swindle
– Voyager Transmetal Tarantulas
– Deluxe G2 Universe Electro
– Deluxe Override
– Deluxe Armada Universe Side swipe
– Deluxe Prime Universe Smokescreen (from sideswipe)
– Core Wheeljack
– Core Armada Universe Sparkplug vs Leader-1
– Core Landmine
– Leader Roadbuster
– Voyager Transmetal Optimus Primal
– Voyager Landfill w/Flintlocke & Silencer
– Deluxe G2 Universe Aero Raid (from talon)
– Deluxe Squeezeplay w/Lokos
– Deluxe Armada Universe Thrust
– Deluxe European Universe Boss
– Core Armada Universe Nightbeat vs Wind Sheer
– Core Groundbreaker
– Core RID 2000 Universe Crosswise
– Titan Grandus
– Commander Broadside
– Leader Cybertron Universe Scourge
– Voyager Armada Universe Demolisher
– Voyager European Universe Stalker
– Deluxe Overdrive
– Deluxe G2 Universe Space Case (from talon)
– Deluxe RID 2000 Universe Skid-Z
– Deluxe Prime Universe Jet Vehicon
– Core Submarauder
– Core Armada Universe Street Action Mini-Con Team
– Core Cybertron Universe Signal Lancer
– Leader Thunderwing (core thunderwing with hollow leader thunderwing)
– Voyager Whirl
– Deluxe European Universe Windbreaker
– Deluxe Cybertron Universe Thundercracker
– Deluxe Armada Universe Blurr
– Deluxe Dogfight (from needlenose)
– Core RID Universe WARS
– Core Cybertron Universe Backstop
– Core Armada Universe Air Defence Mini-Con Team
– Voyager Maximal Apache
– Deluxe Armada Universe Smokescreen
– Deluxe G2 Universe Hooligan (from talon)
– Deluxe RID Universe Sideburn
– Deluxe Chop shop
– Core Energon Universe Battle Ravage
– Core Armada Universe Comettor vs Crumplezone
– Core RID Universe Mirage
With that said, Hasbro, a wish list:
-Rail Racer, with tall but thin component bots; possibly Siege Jetfire height each
-Gigastorm(a retool of Titan's Return Trypticon would be perfect)
-Countdown(2in tall; see below) with G1 rocket base(main bulk of the budget here)
-SSGE WFC Destroyer drone
-Transmetal Tyrannosaurus Megatron, Optimus Primal, Depth Charge, Beast Wars Rampage
-Star Dasher; preferably Mercenary if you're not doing a pirate faction; will accept Siege Astrotrain redeco
-G1 Blast-Off; whenever you get around to reiterating G1 Bruticus, consider a Voyager Blast-Off which parts-forms the bulk of his wings into Bruticus' chest; also, 1:600 microfigures(like the Unicron ones) of the other Combaticons
-Transmetal Inferno, Rhinox, Tarantulas, Terrorsaur, Dinobot(the Happy Meal one), Tigatron
-RID2k Spychangers/G2 Go-Bots using Siege Sideswipe's engineering
-Throttlebots! Re-shells of each other is fine, but I'd really like the 2-wheels-per-foot designs
-Transmetal Rattrap, Airrazor, Waspinator, Blackarachnia(the Happy Meal one), Scorponok(the Happy Meal one)
All the human-sized Transformers you can possibly do up at Core budget 5cm/2in, SS86 Rumble-style. Micromasters, Targetmasters, Minicons, Actionmaster partners, etc. Oh, and please let their likenesses be accurate to their source material.
Micromaster Deluxe 3-packs, Deluxe Micromaster transports, etc.
Weaponizer gimmick expansion ideas:
-Pretender armor(with their own bot/alt modes…?) – with the inner bots being Core class
-Micromaster Sixteam combiner kibble – their original iterations turned into a vehicle; take it one step further and give them a bot mode, some blast effects ports/posts, and two Deluxe 3-packs of each of the Sixteams' rosters.
MORE BLAST EFFECTS!!!
-Toxic sludge effects to attach to the bodies of TFs
-Flame effects(like Dazzlestrike's and TM2 Megatron's)
-Water effects; splash, water cannon, etc. Clear plastic with blue inside for realistic looking water
-Ice crystals to attach to the bodies of TFs
-Huge "splash" blast effects for Titan stomp effects(could double as Commander Lugnut's P.O.K.E. attack)
And if you're weary about using large budgets for obscure characters, try dressing the mold up for a more known character first. Like, say, a Titan class Astrotrain that just happens to be shaped like Galaxy Shuttle.
These are just off the top of my head. Thanks for letting me Mall Santa you, Hasbro! <3