Takara Tomy Mall website has updated the listing of their exclusive Encore Big Convoy Reissue Matrix Buster Edition with our first look at the packaging.
This special reissue of Big Convoy mold comes in the original toy colors (different from the anime-accurate deco of the regular Encore reissue) The most important part of this new reissue is the enormous Matrix Buster cannon seen during the final battle in the Beast Wars Neo cartoon.
The packaging is completely new, with a closed box featuring a cool Big Convoy art holding his massive Matrix cannon, and with a small image of his toy mammoth mode on the lower right corner.
Additionally, they have uploaded an interview (pdf file in Japanese) with the Takara Tomy design team about this new reissue with some new information about this figure:
Update: More details from the interview thanks to 2005 Boards member Powered Convoy.
- Additional images of the gray prototype of the Matrix Buster.
- The new accessory will work with any other release of the mold.
- It will also include a remolded Matrix that can collapse its lateral holders, so it can be placed inside the Matrix Buster as seen in the Beast Wars Neo cartoon.
- It seems the cannon and Navi figurine were originally planned to go with the first Encore reissue, but they were not ready on time.
- The team really tried to recreate all the parts and gimmicks seen in the original cartoon.
- Encore Anime colors was released to align with the Beast Wars Masterpieces.
- Anime colors didn’t get the Matrix Buster because that would’ve been too expensive and they weren’t certain the market could support the price and having a release in anime colors was prioritized.
- To help recoup the costs of updating the mold to current times, Blue Big Convoy was released.
- The Matrix Buster was originally planned back in 1999 as a weapon against the planet-sized Unicron and was connected to Big Convoy’s “prosthetic” left arm, but since the Unicron toy was dropped, the story was changed and a Matrix Buster edition of Big Convoy was never made.
- Since Blue Big Convoy and Anime Colors Big Convoy were popular, they were able to afford making the Matrix Buster, and they also wanted to reissue the original toy colors.
Click on the bar to see all the mirrored images on this news post. Then, you can let us know if this new Big Convoy release will be added into your collection. Looking for a pre-order? Check our sponsors links below