Hasbro has revealed their first Transformers themed SDCC 2017 exclusive today via IGN. Transformers The Last Knight Voyager Optimus Prime will be getting a fancy box and paint job, along with a piece of actual tires used on the Western Star truck in the movies! It’ll be available at the Hasbro booth during San Diego Comic Con this July for $49.99, with a limited supply available on Hasbrotoyshop.com after the show. Read on to check the pics!
Transformers at San Diego Comic Con
Full SDCC coverage related to Transformers from San Diego Comic Con, all in one spot!
A friendly reminder that today will be the day your “F5” key gets its workout. SDCC 2016 exclusives will be going online today at some point, no exact time was given however.
For the Transformers specific items available:
- Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Force Set
- Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Fortress Maximus Convention Edition
- Transformers Soundwave Convention Exclusive Figure Featuring Tablet Mode
- G.I. Joe and The Transformers Crossover Set
If you’re camping out to get one or many of the exclusives, good luck!
Forbes Magazine had a chance for an interview with Hasbro regarding the future of the Transformers toyline including the new Michael Bay Movie and Transformers: Generations.
John Warden, Hasbro’s Transformers design manager, says “Just like anything in Transformers, it’s not just a cool car, but it’s also a character that you know and love. When you look at Fortress Maximus, he’s not just a gigantic robot, but he’s also a colossal city.” So think of it more like a giant Darth Vader than a Death Star.
Regarding the upcoming movie Transformers: The Last Knight the writer had this to say:
With no movies or cartoon since Age of Extinction came two years ago (author of the original article later corrects this and apologizes for the mistake of forgetting RID), the property has relied heavily on Combiner Wars and its sequel Titans Return, a cross-media storyline that includes IDW’s popular comics and a just-released animated miniseries. The Combiner figures allow five robots to join together into one larger one, and most have universal connecting joints so you can mix and match to create your own hybrids (the Titans are simply as big as Combiners already). The next movie may even follow suit, as Michael Bay just announced the inclusion of Onslaught, who in most continuities (and Transformers has many, all of which “count”) leads the military-themed combiner group called the Combaticons.
There may even be a balance on figures, without movie products flooding the shelves:
Expect to also see some figures to commemorate the 30th anniversary (and deluxe Blu-ray) of the original animated movie – a set on display at the Con featured redecoed versions of recent releases of Ultra Magnus, Arce, Springer, Blur, and Kup, painted to look more like their movie incarnations. And, of course, that movie The Last Knight will be in theaters next year, though unlike in some years past, it won’t crowd out all the other kinds of Autobots and Decepticons from the shelves.
“If there’s anything we’ve learned,” says Warden, “it’s that fans love Generations, loud and clear. We’re dedicated to continuing the Prime Wars universe, and we’ve got some great stuff planned for 2017 – more Titans Return product, and it’s just exciting to see how much Generations have grown. Not just with fans, but with kids and fans of all ages.”
Check out the full interview at Forbes.
A little promotional catalog which was available during SDCC 2016, advertising the Titans Return line is now available to download for free. Hasbro Pulse website has made it available for everyone, in PDF format.
“The Transformers Generations franchise takes fans on a deep dive into the Titans Return universe with an exclusive 4-part comic-book style story that shows key Titans Return characters in action and sets the stage for the epic battle ahead! The Power of the Titan Masters book tells the story of four battles within the Titans Return universe. Each battle centers around the Titan Masters, small bots that give bigger bots increased abilities.
Each story comes to life on a comic-book-style splash page featuring new art created just for this book. On the following pages you’ll go beyond the blister card and binge read character content that introduces the key Autobot heroes and Decepticon villains in Titans Return and offers new secrets behind the mysterious and powerful Titan Masters. Who wields that power is up to you! The story starts here in the Power of the Titan Masters.”
Download here (27 MBs)
Last but not least, our team managed to snag a few shots of the just-revealed 3A Optimus Prime figure who is on display at SDCC 2016! We have pics of Prime in all his glory, fully colored, as well as all of his accessories. Check out the pics after the jump!
A few more photos of the G1 Optimus Prime by 3A have been added to the story.
Our crew at San Diego Comic-Con 2016 grabbed photos of the Prime 1 Studio display. At the booth they had the Josh Nizzi designed Transformers PMTF-01 G1 Optimus Prime Statue. The huge status is priced at $999. It has a release set for between July and September 2017.
– 24 Inch tall [Size] 61.8cm (Body:52.6cm(H),Base:11.9cm(H),36.6cm(W),Base:31.4cmm(D)
– LED light up function on head.
– Switchable Energy Axe
Exclusive version: 750
Regular version: 1500
You can see the new photos by reading on.
IDW held a panel at SDCC today highlighting the future of their comic properties. The huge story arc titled Revolution will kick things off tying in all properties into one continuity. Some highlights from the panel (courtesy of Newsarama’s coverage):
- Revolution will bring all of IDW’s toy properties together: Transformers, G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., Action Man, Rom, The Micronauts, and more.
- Revolution centers around Ore 13, you may remember this from past Transformers books.
- Mairghread Scott discussed Transformers: Til All Are One, mentioning that the Transformers will primarily crossover with the Micronauts during Revolution.
James Roberts took to Twitter as well to clear some details up regarding the fate of More Than Meets The Eye:
- The MTMTE Revolution tie-in is written by Roberts and Nick Roche . The Last Stand Of The Wreckers team reunited after six years!
- MTMTE will be called TRANSFORMERS: LOST LIGHT. It will be “MTMTE” season 3 with a new title.
- There will be SPOILERS floating about that will spoil the ending of Dying Of The Light. Comics Alliance has coverage of these reports. READ AT YOUR OWN SPOILERS-RISK.
- Jack Lawrence and Alex Milne will both be working on the new book, providing artwork on alternating arcs.
- Colors will be handled by Joana Lafuente.
In addition to Roberts’s discussions on Twitter, Comics Alliance sat down with him for an interview in which they discuss the future of MTMTE (and SPOILERS):
- Scavengers will be featured in the MTMTE tie-in with Revolution in an Earth-based story.
- No plans for the main cast of MTMTE to travel to Earth post-Revolution.
- Numbering and name changes don’t affect past, present, or future parts of the story.
- Season 3 will take everyone in strange directions.
- Movie-inspired stories have been on the back burner and Roberts hopes to implement them into the new series organically.
- No remorse for making fans cry over Chromedome and Rewind.
Mairghread Scott was also interviewed about Till All Are One and Windblade and where she fits into all of this:
- Iacon the only habitable city on Cybertron currently.
- Scott wants to tell the story from different points of view such as Onslaught and Starscream in addition to Windblade.
- Till All Are One is about the messiness of people from all walks of life.
- Trying to build new stories that feel real enough to readers without being “too” real or too close to actual current events.
We heard via a listing in the Toys R Us computer system a little while ago that a “Decepticon Showdown” set was in the works. Hasbro have now revealed the set in their display at San Diego Comic Con 2016!
The set – more fully known as “Decepticon Island Showdown” – recreates the scene from the Robots in Disguise second season finale where Bumblebee and Steeljaw faced off in their final duel. The set, priced at $39.99, includes the Warrior class Bumblebee and Steeljaw figures and a lot of accessories – in addition to both figure’s weapons, the set includes two Decepticon Hunter swords, Bumblebee’s Decepticon Hunter longstaff, an axe, and a smaller staff weapon (possibly meant as an inert Decepticon Hunter). Rounding off the package is the biggest accessory coming with the set – a stasis chamber big enough to fit a Warrior class Decepticon.
It’s a cool set which only seems to be marred by the fact the Bumblebee and Steeljaw are the same toys that were on shelves last year – check out pics of the set after the break.
Our news team is at the Machinima Panel now for the Transformers Combiner Wars cartoon, giving us updates on what’s what with info on the cartoon and a Q&A session following that. Take the jump to read the full rundown of information.
The San Diego Comic Con has just confirmed and given us a new look at the upcoming Titans Return Leader class Sixshot, Voyager class Optimus Prime, Deluxe class Triggerhappy, and Titan Master Fangry. These are all depicted on the cross sell on the back of the Voyager class Megatron’s packaging!
(original image photo credit goes to our fellow fans at Seibertron.com)