Screenrant reports that Transformers Universe: Bumblebee movie has been assigned with an extremely small budget compared to previous Transformers Live Action Movies. With just US$ 70 million, the budget is less than one-third of a budget usually given to each of the previous five movies.
However, this decision is justified with the following reasons:
- No globetrotting involved. The story is to take place in California.
- Baysplosions are not needed for the movie.
- With a small cast of robots, the CGI cost is significantly lowered.
- No A-List actors such as Mark Wahlberg, Anthony Hopkins, Stanley Tucci etc.
- Tax incentive received for US$ 22 million.
With a lowered production cost, if the movie does well, there is a good chance that it will reach breakeven within the opening weekend itself. With the highly acclaimed director Travis Knight sitting on the director’s chair, the likelihood of receiving praise from critics may turn out to be the push this movie require to become a critical and a commercial success.