Earlier today, the Hasbro Transformers brand team held a Google Hangout session with various fans and fan sites to talk about the Transformers The Last Knight toyline and the figures that were revealed today (here and here). In the session were: John Frazier – Senior Brand Development + Marketing Manager, Ben Montano – Brand Marketing Director, John Warden – Design Manager, and Aristides “Arrow” Membreno – Design Manager. They touched on the fate of the Transformers The Last Knight toy line past these recently revealed waves, their thought process for the Premier Editions, Tiny Turbos and even Valvotron, whether or not the exclusives will see international release, and more! Read on to check out what they had to say and then discuss on the 2005 Boards!
Of note, the audio was intermittent at different times for many of us in the chat, so I did miss some of the presentation specifics on the toys revealed today. As our fellow fan sites update with their coverage, we will link in if we missed anything.
- Officially licensed by Lamborghini
- Deluxe Class shown during the event
- Additional size classes are also available
- The Deluxe class figure is exclusive to Walmart
Mission to Cybertron figures
- Each toy has a card, and backs of each form a bigger poster.
- Exclusive to Toys “R” Us
- A Knight of Cybertron,
- Deluxe scale
- Redeco of Steelbane
- Part of the Mission To Cybertron subline
- Exclusive to Toys “R” Us
- Combiner made up of five figures
- Torso is new, limbs are all Terrorcon redecos from Transformers: Prime
- Comes with a translucent Quintessa figure
- Exclusive to Toys “R” Us Mission to Cybertron subline
- Licenced Aston Martin DB-11
- Vehicle mode has two Titan Master seats.
- Cogman is a Headmaster with a Titan Master head.
- Cogman’s Titan Master head can take over Nitro’s body.
- Nitro’s head is NOT a Titan Master.
- Nitro’s cockpit in jet mode can accommodates a Titan Master.
- Jet mode of Hasbro’s design.
- Warden was excited to do it because of his time with the G.I. Joe Franchise.
Leader Class Dragonstorm
- Duocon Leader Class
- Dragonicus and Stormreign are bigger than Deluxe class, but smaller than Voyager class.
Items shown today are intended for late August, but there is no street date. As they arrive in stock, can go out.
Questions from fans, including TFW2005. Questions and Answers paraphrased.
- Not intended to be part of lore, just a fun cross promotion.
Tiny Turbos Changers
- Movie based for now
- Well received so far
- Ono San of G1 fame helped design them
Premier Editions (and why there were many repaints in TLK early waves)
- More new mold items are coming*
- Wanted to re-introduce key figures and characters to new fans.
- Also allowed movie accurate decos and enhanced decos on previous figures.
*Special Note by Tony B: “I believe they meant more new molds were coming generally, not necessarily in the TLK Premier edition line. The question was in regards to why there were so many repaints in the first couple waves of TLK, they said more are coming, etc.
Those new molds could be in whatever they call the movie-verse line after this, but before Bumblebee movie. Or just in the Bumblebee movie line, as general movieverse filler (like how Marvel Legends puts out comic figures wave 1, and movie accurate wave 2 for a given movie).”
- Wanted to capture the fact it was a planet.
- When you open him up, the bright orange represents the core of the planet, while the outside stays blue.
- Sounds, Omega Lock and other features stay the same as original.
Tiny Turbos design process, challenges
- As referenced earlier – they brought on Ono San to capture the simple yet “Tranformer-y” essence.
- Was started before TLK work began.
How has the design process changed since 2007 ?
Using assets from Paramount, using what they have ready, increasing articulation, increasing deco complexity, being more film accurate, designing specifically for different segments (fans, kids, etc)
Started from the old figure, remixed along with Takara to rework the transformation and get it representing Mercedes.
(TFW2005) Will store exclusives see release in non-US markets?
Yes, all are available to global markets. They have been or will be offered to retailers in each market, where each are going is not final at the moment, stay tuned for announcements.
(TFW2005) Is there anything planned past what we’ve seen today for The Last Knight line?
What we’ve seen today is the end of the The Last Knight line proper, but Movieverse figures will not end there. There is another movie coming next year, so they will be fading into other movie focused lines after this.
MPM Bumblebee and Optimus Prime were shown at the end, very excited, if they sell well they will continue with the line. No mention of any others.
We want to thank the Transformers Brand Team and Hasbro’s PR squad for hanging out and showing us all their cool toys :). Transformers The Last Knight toys are on shelves now and will continue to trickle out new items through the summer!
We also thank Ben’s World of Transformers for providing the info which we missed during the technical outage.