There is a saying “History has a way of repeating itself“. Same can be applied when considering what happened 3 years ago and now. Back in 2011 at the Cinemacon it was revealed that Transformers: Dark Of The Moon will utilize Dolby’s 7.1 Surround Sound System. This time for Transformers: Age Of Extinction, Dolby reveals that the movie will feature their Atmos Surround Sound System. Of course the news doesn’t come as a surprise since Michael Bay himself revealed the fact that he will be using the Dolby Atmos system for Transformers 4 about one year ago.
So, what can we expect from this technology? Here’s what Dolby has to say…
Benefits of Dolby Atmos
- Delivers a powerful and dramatic new cinema sound listening experience
- Allows sounds to move around the theatre to create dynamic effects
- Reproduces a natural and lifelike audio experience that perfectly matches the story
- Adds overhead speakers for the most realistic effects you’ve ever heard
- Reflects the artist’s original intent, regardless of theatre setup
- Employs up to 64 speakers to heighten the realism and impact of every scene
For filmmakers, details matter—a lot. And Dolby Atmos gives filmmakers full creative control over the placement and movement of sound around the audience. This completely new level of artistic freedom enables precise matching of audio to onscreen action.
Dialogue follows characters. Sound effects track with camera pans. Ambient sounds envelop you. For the first time, you’ll hear the whole picture.