Check out our coverage of the Botcon 2013 Hasbro Transformers Publishing panel below. A transcript of our coverage is available after the break.
– Panel talked about Hasbro’s various Transformers publishing endeavors.
– Pop up book – very cool, lots of transforming pop-ups. Looked like a mixture of styles, some characters looked like Aligned continuity but others were very Generation 1. Lots and lots of characters being included, from Optimus and Megatron to lesser known guys like Defensor to Japanese guys like Greatshot and obscure guys like Scrounge. There will be a special edition with an additional Unicron popup. The tallest popup in the book is apparently Omega Surpreme, a mix of all his different designs.
– Transformers Retribution – coming later this year, concludes the trilogy started with Exodus and continued with Exiles. Will flesh out the characters and feature some crazy action – it will also bring the Star Seekers and Thundertron into the action early on and bring back the Quintessons as a villain faction.
– Transformers 30th Anniversary Collection – being compiled by Jim Sorenson, it will feature classic stories in their entirity from 30 years of Transformers comics, interviews with the creators and interviews with those involved with the comics now on how the older comics have influenced them.
– The Covenant of Primus – this will publish some of the material from the Binder of Revelation. It will cover the origins of the 13, their rivalries and then will extend to cover the full history of all Cybertron’s ages from Golden Age to present. They’ve said new characters will be introduced and others will be fleshed out more, for example, Ratchet’s backstory will be explored. Releasing on 3 December, it was implied a standard edition might eventually also be released. 1:58
Rested, sounds like it is on hiatus
Comment From TFG1Mike
unit E rested or tested ?
Show is about to open so that’s the end of the panel. I’ll catch you guys later – off to spend some cash!
Asked about Covenant for you guys – there just might be a standard edition (but you want to buy the collectors edition!)
Unit-E was intended to bring Hasbro’s universe into one expression, the idea is being rested right now
Talking about doing a book in the style of the Takara-Tomy Generations books for the US. No plans, but they say it is an easy one to do if they decide to run with it.
Not that I could see
Comment From Evan
Anything Beast Wars related in the Pop Up book?
Plus others are being brought back whatever that means.
Two new female characters are being added to the Covenant
Talking about the possibility of bringing some of the international Transformers comics to the US
So a mixture, a happy medium as it were
Defensor and Sky Lynx were more retro looking – Prime looks more like his Transformers Prime one. Megatron was a tank, kinda like Generation 2
Comment From Fredbob
Do the pop-up characters look Aligned style?
Covenant is out on December 3rd
They have no plans for an audio book – no plan for an audio version of the Covenant book
By the sounds of it, lots. They showed maybe a dozen various ones on screen at one point.
Comment From mastermega
how many characters are going to be included in the popup book?
Star Seekers will be in Retribution early on
Fun fact – Scrounge and Big Red are in the popup book
Opening the floor to questions
Nothing was said that I caught
Comment From Dr.MegsG1
Is there a release date for Transformers: Retribution?
They have little chariots to let them “battle”
Optimus, Ratchet, Bulkhead, Arcee, Bumblebee, Megatron, Airachnid, Starscream, Knockout, Predaking in dragon mode
Barnes & Noble exclusive book, Transformers Wars, a “book” set in the Prime universe. It’s 10 kits, 5 Autobots and 5 Decepticons, text is mostly tech specs, the book includes paper kits to make models of the characters
They did not say yet, I’ll let you know if they mention it.
Comment From Cradok
is there going to be a ‘normal’ version of the covenant?
Livio, Casey Colley, Emiliano Santalucia have done art, story elements like Ratchet’s role and backstory of major characters will be included
I believe so
Comment From Evan
Are the designs of the 13 the same designs shown a couple years ago?
The book will cover how the Predacons went extinct
Showing some art from the book
Covers the origin of the 13 Primes, their conflicts, and the various ages of Cybertronian history
Written by Justina Robson
The Covenant of Primus “a gift from Alpha Trion to humans”
Talking about the Covenant, comes with a case which pulls apart in three sections to open which triggers sound effects
Nope, just a regular novel
Comment From mastermega
Is Retribution a graphic novel?
On to the next bit of the panel, the Binder of Revelation aka the Covenant of Primus which will draw down from the Binder
(He likes the cover too)
Saying it has been a lot of fun to write, crazy over the top battles etc
Retribution will feature an Ark / Nemesis dogfight but will also bring back the Quintessons who will be enemies for both sides
It’s a Prime style Optimus face, looks very dynamic
Cover art is a closeup of Optimus’ face, looks like the Marvel G2 cover. This book is the conclusion of the trilogy started in Exodus
On to Dave Williams, co-author Transformers Retribution
He’s handing over now so probably more on those tomorrow at the IDW panel tomorrow
Talking about IDW’s comic lines now – no shock revelations yet
Jim Sorenson is putting this together with John Barber
The 30th collection is all the classic stories in their entirety, along with interviews with the creators and interviews with people on the comics now
Looks to be a mixture – there was a G1 Defensor but Optimus looked like the Prime one in truck mode
Comment From YoungPrime
What TF line is the pop up book based off of?
Talking about the 30th anniversary collection book
John Barber on comics now
There will also be a limited edtion. Will include an additional popup of Unicron that transforms
Just did a live demo of the Optimus and Megatron transformations – both looks very cool.
Showing a bit of the artwork – lots of characters in there, Snare, Skylynx, Greatshot, he makes no secret that he’s throwing in lots of characters he wants to include in there
Everything in the book transforms
Yes – been talking about it kicking the idea around that long, 30th was seen as the right time to bring it about
Comment From Sockie
That long? Wowza.
Calls it the next evolution of his craft
Been in the making for 6-7 years
Showing off a transforming popup from the book
Matthew Rhinehart is talking about the pop up book, He’s been a long time fan, Gears was his first toy
Coming up for Apple is a Transformers Prime encyclopaedia app, Android version has been delayed. Interactive, tap to transform characters etc
Transformers Rescue Bots books being talked about,, young audiences and coloring books
Story of Bumblebee’s secret missions
Talking about young adult books the Transformers Confidential novels
They work toward of publishing material for all ages and interests
Writers for the Transformers pop up book, Transformers Vault and pop up book are also on stage
David Williams, co-author of Transformers Prime novel
Michael Kelly, head of publishing is introducing
This panel is all about Hasbro’s publishing projects
We’re just kicking off now