Transformers Prime Thundertron Concept Art

Thundertron04

We have a couple of rare treats to share with you right now. Something we rarely ever get to see are the concept designs behind the Transformers characters – the artwork that eventually gets turned into the characters and the toys that we know and love. Today, concept artist Emiliano Santalucia has shared some of his concept work, one of which is for the aligned continuity pirate captain of the Star Seekers, Thundertron. You can see in the various sketches the progression of the Thundertron design including how he was originally to look a bit more battle worn and how the “wing” elements on the hips of the toy were originally concepted as more of the bottom half of a coat. You can also see a much earlier design, which was more squat and bulky in appearance compared to the later designs.

Check it all out on Emiliano Santalucia’s blog entry for the Thundertron concept work.

1. Cheem The Rup's Avatar Cheem The Rup says

This is a great gift our great friend and artist Emiliano Santalucia made us in Transformers Italia and he gave me the permission to link here too (after he had the permission from his boss in Hasbro)

This is the link to his blog...

Emiliano works for Hasbro and other big brands and these are the original sketches that after became the toy we all love... Enjoy !

2. Shatterpoint's Avatar Shatterpoint says

So much badassery.

I like his other design too, reminds me of a viking!

3. Ra88's Avatar Ra88 says

Okay, I dig that. If I ever get this mold I might even be tempted to tackle it and give it those battlescars.

4. anikenvader's Avatar anikenvader says

...MAAAAAN That is some cool stuff. Makes me enjoy my figure of him that much more.

5. Cheem The Rup's Avatar Cheem The Rup says

Originally Posted by anikenvader View Post
    I said him that I'll buy the Lio Convoy version But this viking type is incredible... too bad the toy is another planet

6. HeroicC300's Avatar HeroicC300 says

Pretty awesome.

Also, anyone else notice that he did the basic Aligned Sideswipe design?

7. JBStuka's Avatar JBStuka says

Some say he looks like a Viking... I can see that. But he really reminds me of a Draenei from WoW. Very cool though to see the concept work.

Keep reading: Official Thundertron sketchbook by Emiliano Santalucia !! - Page 2