BotCon 2012 Policy Update Regarding Fan Art

Botcon2012

We have received word that artists that booked an artist alley table for BotCon 2012 are now being told that any fan art that may infringe on Hasbro’s intellectual property or trademarks can not be sold at BotCon. This does not affect licensees or Hasbro contractors…

The wording from the BotCon brochure advertised “that you can get single tables to show-and-sell your custom Transformers art for $200”, but it would appear that Hasbro has reversed this now resulting in more table cancellations at the Texas convention scheduled for later this month.

1. Sidecutter's Avatar Sidecutter says

I will be sending an e-mail (still finalizing it) requesting better explanation, clarification, and limitations to the below language which has been added to this year's exhibitor agreement for BotCon. There is obviously reason for serious concern here.

Obviously, this request will carry much more weight and be more likely to receive the sort of response we need if it bears the names of stores other than my own as senders. I am asking that, if you are going to BotCon as a dealer and wish to be a signatory on the letter, you PM me promptly so that I may add you.

The new language in the agreement is as follows: "Promoter and its designees, including Hasbro, Inc., each reserves the right to ban or deny display of any item for any reason. Promoter and its designees, including Hasbro, Inc., each reserves the right to confiscate any items that violates these rules and regulations. Exhibitor agrees to permit such confiscation without incident and agrees that all confiscated items shall become the property of Promoter or its designee and may be turned over to the appropriate authorities. Exhibitor herby [sic] waives and all claims against the Promotor [sic] or Hasbro, Inc. with respect to any removal of person or confiscation of items."

2. Soundblaster1's Avatar Soundblaster1 says

Sounds like they're just trying to avoid the epic fail of 2011 where the 3rd party reveals brought in by TFSource were significantly cooler than the actual Hasbro stuff.

3. Joe Moore's Avatar Joe Moore says

It's definitely geared towards people dealing in knock offs and third party items. If a dealer brings them into the dealer room, be prepared to have it taken by Hasbro and/or Fun Pub.

4. Foster's Avatar Foster says

I'm reminded of the old Johnny Cash song, "Don't Take Your Guns to Town".

5. Matty's Avatar Matty says

I think this is a good idea for the dealers. I'd like to see the response.

I'm going to be extremely bummed if I have to set up side alley deals to purchase 3rd party items at BotCon like I'm doing drugs or something.

6. Sidecutter's Avatar Sidecutter says

I'm quite open to posting both the letter itself and the response when appropriate. For the moment, however, I think it is best that it remain behind the proverbial curtain. Obviously, if anyone else signed up as a dealer wishes to see the current near-final draft of the letter before becoming a signatory, I'll share it with them privately.

7. Simes has no avatar! Simes says

There are two issues at hand here and Botcon is treading on VERY dangerous ground here.

First is the issue regarding sale / display of items on dealers stalls. Whether you like it or not, Botcon are well within their rights to ask dealers not to bring or display items at the convention but out of good practice if nothing else, they should issue some form of guidelines so traders know in advance what is and isn't acceptable. That way, they can all avoid any potential breaches of Botcon's unstated regulations.

A blanket statement like the above is too vague and leaves it open to abuse and will make dealers very wary about bringing anything along to the convention. The question could be asked where will the line be drawn... Knockoffs? Third party? Imported toys that Hasbro have already released in the US?

On a more serious note, I'd be interested to know about the legalities regarding the point about confiscation. While they would be within their rights to demand that items are withdrawn from display / sale, even to the point of confiscation during the convention, retaining possession of said items from dealers after the convention is immoral and I'd certainly question whether they could do that legally.

Also, the fact that they say they are reserving the right to display / sell items for "any reason"... well, I could see this getting rather unpleasant...

8. Sidecutter's Avatar Sidecutter says

Originally Posted by Simes View Post

Correct. You've touched on several of the problems at hand which the letter discusses, and you're correct that the concern is not limited to what we call "third party".

9. Simes has no avatar! Simes says

Would you mind emailing me a copy of this? I'd like to keep tabs on this as obviously I need to keep all of Auto Assembly's dealers updated as well on what's happening as we're trying to be a lot more dealer and fan-friendly this year developing a new and improved third-party policy.

10. ScottyP has no avatar! ScottyP says

Definitely keep us informed! My "shopping list" for the dealer room will look dramatically different if some products aren't allowed ><

11. There are more replies on The 2005 Boards.

Keep reading: ATTENTION: third party toys banned from BotCon 2012 / FAN ART NOW ALLOWED AGAIN - Page 2