Gameinformer concludes their month long coverage of Transformers War for Cybertron today with a special edition podcast. The podcast kicks off with a piece of music from the game itself, and then leaps into a full hands-on first impressions preview of the game. Key points from the podcast include:
* The game is a 3rd person shooter, with gameplay like Gears of War.
* Cover can be destroyed, fully destructable environments.
* The backgrounds and backdrops will not be static. (Things will happen in the NPC world, such as energon being transported, machinery working, maybe even cameos).
* Story missions and Co-op are confirmed–a team of at least three other characters is confirmed. There will also be both multiplayer and single player modes.
* Three vehicle classes: Tanks, Jets and another unmentioned class. Depending on the classes and your abilities, the levels will be multi-tiered and have different paths. For jets, this means multiple vertical levels to explore.
* All characters have two different time-based skills (e.g. Shield, invisibility, teleport, etc.).
* Storyline is one story broken into two interlocking parts, Decepticon Campaign (first half) and the Autobot Campaign(last half). It is an origin story.
* Second level is set to explain Starscream and Megatron’s relationship. (The first level was previously confirmed as being the tale of the first meeting of Megatron and Starscream).
* Many of the G1 actors are coming back to reprise their original roles. A formal announcement will be made at a later date in 2010; however, Peter Cullen is confirmed as Optimus Prime.
* Hasbro has said this game is canon.
There is also a spoiler in the podcast revealing the nature of the final battle for the Decepticon side of the campaign. If you have been following the coverage so far you should have an idea of what this means, but we won’t spoil it for you here.
In other news, the official Transformers War for Cybertron homepage has been updated with a new batch of clips. The clips show off the usual fleeting glimpses of the game – however one of the new clips gives us our first clear look at War for Cybertron Ironhide! Check out the still from the video, taken by Mr knightmare of our 2005 Boards, by clicking on the thumbnail image above.